Search Engine Optimisation (SEO)
Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) is the process of ensuring that pages from your website appear as high as possible on the search result pages for the search terms which are most relevant to your business.
Why is this important?
Simply because the bulk of clicks from a search page are to the top 3 - 5 listings. The first item on the page receives by far the most clicks with different studies putting it between 35 - 50% of all clicks.
How it Works
Crawler-based search engines (such as Google or Yahoo!) use ‘spiders’ or ‘bots’ to search pages on the Internet. The search engine spider returns to each website every month or two to check for changes that are relevant to what users are searching for.
Most search engines rank pages based on two key criteria: 'relevance' and 'ranking'.
- RELEVANCE is a score of how closely the content of a page matches the search term entered by the user
- RANKING is a measure of the perceived quality of the page (independant of its relevance to the search terms)
Things that will impact your page rank
SEO is an on-going process and there are a series of regular steps that can be taken to maximise the position of the site within the major search engines.
The single most important factor in improving the ranking of a page is the number and quality of the websites linking to that page (and of increasing importance is also the text of the inbound link).
Other important factors include:
- how often site content is updated (and the regularity of updates)
- for Google, including video material
Remember that search engines don't rank websites, they rank web pages.
(i)mobius’ SEO process involves the following elements:
- defining which keywords you should target to maximise the benefit to your business
- conducting a site audit to identify if any changes need to be made to your site structure reviewing your site to ensure that it is optimised for search engine indexing
- working with you to develop a strategy to develop quality inbound links
- advising on (and creating) appropriate content to be added to your site
Talk to us about:
sales promotions, campaign creative, content management solutions, web design, populus, seo and sem, custom web development, information architecture, digital business strategy, social commerce, email marketing, branding, intranets, gift with purchase campaigns, flash development, branded communities, wordpress